Thursday, August 21, 2014

Why is it called a Chesterfield Sofa

If you were born in the forties, then you probably associate the name Chesterfield with a cigarette. If you are British, then you think of a leather sofa. 

Not any sofa, but one that is deep, buttoned backed with arms and back of the same height, and typically leather. In proper British speech, the name "Chesterfield" is only applied to this sofa. 

If you were King George the Third, then you would associate the name Chesterfield with Lord Phillip Stanhope, the 4th Earl of Chesterfield, who is given credit for naming the sofa, having first commissioned the tufted leather sofa in the early 1700s.

Stickley London sofa

Stickley has adapted this idea with their own novel London sofa, incorporating the button arched back and the classically sloped English arm.

Stickley London leather sofa

Add a pitched slope to the back and you make for a perfectly comfortable seat. Now bring the tea at four and serve brandy after dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment